Sunday, January 16, 2011

Στην Ελλάδα!

I'm on a roll here! There's just no stopping me. Two posts, one day? It's madness! I'm not sure if anybody actually cares about where I went on vacation, but this may be more for me as some kind of virtual diary that I'll share with whoever cares to read. In that case, if you're still with me, let's continue.

Later in our trip, our ship makes its way to the lovely country of Greece. One day in Athens, the next in Rhodes. It was a little rainy from time to time, but we had the good luck to miss the worst of it and beat the crowds to the Parthenon. My family absolutely adores Greek and Mediterranean cuisine in addition to our own Armenian/Lebanese fare, so my mom and I had ourselves a culinary ball in addition to enjoying all there was to see. In addition to the history, monuments, and architecture, there were orange trees everywhere loaded down with fruit, which was lovely not quite enough to distract you from the current sad economic state in the country. There was an abundance of stray animals, which makes sense that pets are most definitely a luxury - and if you're choosing between feeding yourself or your animals, chances are that Kitty will probably do alright on his own. Seeing these cities that have been around for thousands of years, you realize that if they can make it through wars and the numerous other assorted woes that have come around during their existence, they'll come out of this too.So, umbrellas and cameras in hand, here are some snapshots of Greece!

 One of the temples to be found at the acropolis.

Hey, it's the Parthenon! (restoration in progress)


Strolling the historic district, working up an appetite!

 The entrance to Rhodes' medieval old town- right on the water!

 The Street of Knights. Didn't see any, pity.

Medieval cannon balls? You tell me!

 You find the nicest things down random side streets, even if your mother does think you're nuts :)

We had company for lunch. Quite polite guests, they were.

All in all, quite the voyage, and we managed not to get too wet. I did buy myself a pashmina (scarf), and a small ceramic vase with Artemis, my favorite Greek goddess on it. Until next time, a day at sea and then Egypt!

No comments:

Post a Comment