Thursday, February 3, 2011

cartographie, cours, and crêpes

Here we are, halfway through the second week of semester two. I'm happy to report that my science courses at UM2 seem to be handling their business as normal and I made it to every course so far without incident. My Histoire de la Terre class is particularly interesting. I've learned it's more of a geological science course than biology even though it's a bio major requirement, but it honestly doesn't bother me if it comes back to Alabama as GEO 102. It's more for the challenge and experience than actually needing the course credit - besides, it's very interesting and something I wouldn't take otherwise back home. For example, in our first travaux pratique of the semester (lab course), I and the ten other people in my group (of which I'm the only foreigner - eep!) started on cartography. Three hours of cartography, actually, which was a lot more interesting than it sounds, I promise. But it's also quite hard and I definitely notice my lack of instinctive French ability here when some concepts are being explained in words that are familiar to the other students but not to me. Relating this back to earth studies, we ended up studying the complex world of topographical mapping, reliefs, and how to transfer a distance on the map into a height plan on our own paper. Magnifying glasses and rulers, oodles of fun for the inner geek!

I'm excited to see what comes next, but also a bit worried in relation to some recent unfortunate news. In taking these courses, I have to eliminate a couple courses at UM3 (my french studies). I'm attempting to replace my two cours options (which are required, despite the name) with these two science courses. And after all this work and running all over the place, I find myself in a bit of a bind. The French as a foreign language institute (IEFE) is obstinate in that they "can't" (read: won't) take off those courses from my transcript, even if I don't select them. Now, these optional courses are fine and all and consist of things like art history, cinema, business french and so on, but I would think that I could get an even more enriching experience from these science courses. So, in theory, why not switch one with the other?

Well, no. Not that simple, I guess. Unless I do some serious magic and sweet talking, I will find myself in one of two situations. In situation 1, despite not choosing two of the six options, I will get two nice big absente - Incompletes - in their place. At the University back home, that equates to a big fat F. Yeeeeah, not something I want. Situation two, if I can't get these taken off my transcript, I have to abandon my science courses and go back to these options and try to catch up. Won't be too hard since we're only in the second week and the option courses meet once a week, but I won't lie when I say this would be a massive disappointment. I can't tell you the amount of legwork I've put in to find these courses and get myself approved, registered, in the right place at the right time, and changing schedules just to make this function. And now I'm in danger of it all vanishing into a cloud of dust.

Dunno. I suppose I'll just have to persevere, find a way, if there is one, and do it fast. I'm not keen on a failing grade. I just find this slightly silly and a little frustrating, which is not bad considering that up to this point I've handled the bureaucracy around these parts pretty well. Hopefully it will all work out.

But other than this little snafu, life is just peachy! I've settled back into the happy routine of school, friends and fun, with a little something different thrown in every now and again to spice things up. My salsa/merengue workshop has started back up, so I'm happy to see those friends and goof off with them again now that my French has improved so much from when I started! I ruined yesterday's jog by the river with an impromptu invitation to a crêpe party (which I mistakenly attended in my slippers, but nobody seemed to mind!), and I came back home feeling happy but way too full to function. So, I took another run today to enjoy the beautiful weather we're having, and ended up taking a couple really nice photos that I promise to put up soon! And speaking of yesterday's jog - I went running, and I pass by the zoological park on my way out of town. Lo and behold, along my run I see a rather strange sight...none other than a full-grown male peacock, strolling the grass outside the aviary. Yeah, it escaped, and in typical proud bird fashion, didn't seem to give a hoot. I kinda stood there in puzzled amazement for a little while and just watched, then I discussed with some other girls passing by that this seemed rather odd. The park was already closed, unfortunately, so we weren't sure what to do. We asked a man hanging around, and apparently some birds just do that from time to time. They escape, and eventually they wander back in. Nobody freaks out at this, so we shrugged at each other and went our respective ways. Again, France, unusual, but I continue to absorb and appreciate the way people think here. I'm sure Mr. Peacock ended up where he needed to be eventually.

So, in general, life alternates between busy and not busy, but always satisfying and never boring for long. I'm so glad I'm here for 4 more months! Yippee =) Here's some more photos, this time of Paris! With my mother, we spent two days sightseeing and two days at the Louvre, as the end to our fabulous mother-daughter whirlwind vacation:

Overlooking the Seine, enjoying the sunny but chilly day while it lasts
First day of sightseeing, thankfully not rainy :) Notre Dame!



 
Inside the cathedral, admiring the stained glass...I would later giggle when mom noticed they misspelled "canddle" on one of the signs inside :)

Inside the famous Opéra de Paris at the Palais Garnier, the setting for the famous Phantom of the Opera! (No, you're not allowed to see the underground lake - awwww)
Cheezin =)

Day 1 of the Louvre - ready to tear this museum apart =D

Ready to call it a day - but still smiling! Until next time, fun in the Louvre!

No comments:

Post a Comment