Friday, February 25, 2011

So much time, so little to do! (no, that's not right...)

Apologies, friends, for my scarcity these past couple weeks! As per usual, life has been zipping by...and it's the crunch time of exams. Uni. Paul-Valéry (where I take my french courses) had all its exams this week, while the Fac des Sciences will have its the week we get back from vacation...busy, busy! However, since coming here I'll have to be honest: perfect grades are not my priority. (Can it be true?!) So, while I do study, I still won't miss fun or interesting things to do because I'm feeling continually aware of the finite nature of my time here. To give an idea of why I'm kinda behind on my homework, here's a detail of my weekly events:

-Salsa/merengue class on Monday, followed by a (admittedly kinda crappy) evening at the bar
-Soiréé Latina on Tuesday, after listening to the Lyon - Madrid match on an online french station thanks to my lack of TV here. Gotta follow these Champions League knockout games! (Barça, do not disappoint me again...) I've got a lot of pride staked on their next game in two weeks. A lot. I'm quite nervous.
-To the movie theater to see Black Swan on Wednesday. Nuttier than a can of peanuts, but I liked it! Highly recommended - and watching an English movie with French subtitles is quite interesting, even educational, on a side note.
-Thursday...Another movie, this time en version française. But it was shown at the cité universitaire so I technically "stayed in."
-Friday (i.e. today!), raclette night!! I was super stoked for this and though I have to catch a train at 7 AM (ahhhhh gonna be so tired), I haven't done this since I was a kid - back in Montréal - and there's no way I was turning down this invitation. Besides, it was a chance to see friends before skipping town for the week. For those who haven't heard of this, raclette is a type of swiss cheese, with only a very mild pungent-factor, that is eaten in a very particular type of meal (you call that "raclette" as well). It involved a grill apparatus and little metal boats in which you put the cheese to melt beneath the grill while you put your charcuterie (sliced meats, pretty much, like smoked sausage and bacon) on top to sizzle. You combine these with boiled potatoes on your plate and eat until you feel like you're gonna explode. That's generally what happens, because doing raclette stretches out for several hours and you start to forget how much you've eaten since you make a little bit at a time, all while enjoying your wine and conversation. And suddenly, you're starting to wonder why you got so full and how you're ever going to have room for that tarte aux pommes sitting there for dessert (hint: wait an hour. You'll find room). Until next time, if someone ever offers you raclette...

...don't say no!

No comments:

Post a Comment