Sunday, October 24, 2010

Some crusty old fishing town: Marseille, Day 1!

Hi, everybody! The same day I wrote the post detailing the closure of the university, I hoofed it over to the train station, deciding that this was a prime chance to get away from it all and do a little sightseeing. The options were mind-numbing, and the careful consideration required due to the multiple train suspensions made the decision process bizarre, but I decided that before I go gallivanting off to some other foreign country, maybe it's best to see a little more of my own backyard: so Marseille it is! After all, it's the oldest city in France, dating back thousands of years, it's by the beach, and only an hour and forty minutes away by train. Very doable in a situation where I can only know what train I'll be taking less than 24 hours before departing. So, 11 euros poorer and with a hostel reservation made online, away I went.

Before you wonder why there's a noticeable lack of me in all these pictures, I made this journey toute seule. But isn't it lonely/scary, you may ask? Why no, not at all! This is my first "vacation" without somebody by my side, teaming up on decisions or making them for me, so I was interested to see how it all panned out. What I did find is that I'm actually quite happy being solo on my travel adventures. I'm pretty independent and don't have a constant need for accompaniment. I could wander anywhere I chose, and I only had one tummy/bladder to attend to throughout the time there (Thursday-Sunday). Decisions were mine and mine alone, and I never had to worry about matching stamina with anybody else. (As a result, I totally tore it up out there. Who knows how much walking I did?) Would I travel this way all the time? Probably not, having a companion to voyage with means lots of memories and experiences with that person. But, for my first extended trip outside of Montpellier, I'm very glad I went it alone. Now I know I can do it. =)

To make things a little simpler with the volume of photos I took (a lot by my standards, but few by those of the insanely camera happy), I'll divide my story into days. =)


 It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood...:)

I took the first (and only) train to Marseille that morning, departing at 9:41 a.m. We left half an hour late due to manifestors physically blocking the track. Was I concerned? Nah, no really. I had bough a baguette, a wedge of Brie, and ham at Monoprix just before arriving at the station so I was happy as a clam in my little train seat, crumbs galore. After the initial delay, the train ride went smoothly and I got to Marseille feeling rather guilty with the amount of cheese I'd eaten...but I did end up walking it all off.

 First look at Marseille once leaving the train station. One girl, one bag, and all the time in the world!

I got there, went to my hostel, and found out that they'd overbooked! I was the last person to make a reservation online before it "filled" and apparently the computer let them do one too many, so the hostel apologized and said I was welcome to crash on their couch (for free!) or find another hostel. I was very happy to get comped a couch, considering that I can sleep about anywhere. But what did I do with myself that day? I put on my walking boots and went first to the major landmark of Marseille: Notre Dame de la Garde, aka "La Bonne Mère." It's the largest, grandest cathedral in Marseille, set at the highest natural point in the city. It offers a panorama of the city and the sea that is to DIE for.

 Me being small next to this big ol' thing.

 Not even close to doing the view justice. Not a chance!

The church had essentially two "stories," if you will. The upper is the basilica, the most ornate portion and very grand. I went there first. It was extraordinary, as the pictures will show. Along the sides of the chapel were tons of memorabilia and paintings reflecting the city's maritime history; ships, life preservers, etc. It was an unusual assembly, but you could definitely tell that this is part of Marseille's character. This church is fiercely loved and said to keep watch over the city ("Our Lady of the Guard" is the translation from French).

 The tabernacle, and a hint of the gorgeous mosaics that were everywhere.


 Up close view of a portion of the ceiling.


 On my way out to do more exploring. Magnificent views abound.

Afterward I headed down to the crypt. No, no dead bodies...it's actually just another chapel, though a bit more somber and understated. I'm trying to post only my favorite photos of the bunch, but it really is going to be hard. All I can do is direct you to my facebook for the rest. Overall, the atmosphere was one of reverence. It was at this point that I made a note to go to mass at some point this weekend (I did!).


 Not sure of the purpose of this little chamber...but would you like to be locked up in here?
After finishing with this, I made the trek back downhill and decided to check out the historic old port. It's been around, much like a lot of this city, for a couple thousand years. It's flanked on either side by a fort for protection.Very lovely place to stroll around and visit, and I made a point to make it up to one today, and one the next. As it turns out, they're slightly limited access: I'm curious as to what goes on inside the fort itself, but I was received by a sign dictating something or other dealing with the military. Essentially, "No tourists allowed." Aww.

 Cool, but slightly confusing structure atop the fort. Giant gold sword guarding a hole?


Playing lookout (that's the other fort across the port)


 The Vieux Port seen from atop Fort Saint Nicolas, in the evening sun.

After this, I decided that I was in the prime situation for one heck of a view if I could find myself a beach before sunset. I made my way back down the fort, checked my map, and saw I had a bit of walking to do to, but also some time, so I set off and followed the water. I found the Pharo Gardens with a small palace (small palace??) and more lovely views and amused myself people watching for awhile. There was a party of people watching their dogs romp around off the leash, parents playing with their kids, and of course, cute French couples of all ages enjoying the evening. I made casual conversation with a couple and eventually got myself in a photo near a nautical-themes statue. Evening sun makes everything look nice. =) After that, I continued walking and eventually found myself a beach and one breathtaking sunset.


 A photo of myself I actually really like =)

 I've got my spot, right here!


 Oh, I also found "The door to the orient and distant lands," (so it reads). Me, all I see when I look at this is "Touchdooooown!"


 Oh, yeah. This is livin'.  More pics tomorrow. Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment