Thursday, September 16, 2010

Getting there from here?

Today, for your viewing pleasure, I give you yet another nameless picturesque itty bitty side street.
I know. They don't make 'em like that in America!
On a side note, the street grid system here is quite bizarre...actually, I'm not even sure it exists. You can be standing in the middle of an intersection (which I've done with a buddy and map, by the way!) and have 6 possibilities of directions. It's like a game some city planner from centuries past decided to play called "Hey, let's mess with the tourists." There's even helpful signs that, in reality, aren't all that helpful. For example, on top of a large sign with multiple arrows stacked on top of each other, atop them all was "AUTRES DIRECTIONS." (other directions). There's also "TOUTES DIRECTIONS" if you prefer! Those crazy French. But I laugh it off and do my best. Thanks to said crazy French, I ended up on a nice long bike ride. I rode downtown to buy a grammar book for French and chill for awhile. Eventually, I decided it was time to come back. I've created a handy Microsoft paint diagram that reveals the extent of my artistic ability:


  Letter A is in the middle of downtown. The blue arrow is where I live. The green arrow is where I ended up.

I don't think it's really possible to get totally lost in Montpellier and the surrounding area unless you're completely hopeless. There's maps everywhere, and with the tram lines running around you really can't go wrong. There was a point halfway between A and ? that I knew I was going somewhere not quite right, but then I decided, why the heck not? Let's see where I end up. I ended up seeing some really cool stuff (no camera, silly me. Next time. Kicking myself here.), and found a really good market that reminds me of the marchés in Montréal. It's called Carrefour, and it's super well priced for cheapos like me. I found some kidney, by the way. Yum....? Rabbit is also quite common here, as is lamb, a bajillion types of sausage, and I've even seen pigeon (Oh my!).

This blog post had a point, but it ended up going in a totally different direction. I will show pictures from the rest of last weekend eventually. They're quite nice. Until next time!

2 comments:

  1. I am very much enjoying your posts, and can already tell that I will be a seriously dedicated reader... <3 I miss you, but I am so super proud of you, as always!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much :) I miss you too, but keeping the days full definitely helps! Hope all is well too <3

    ReplyDelete