Tuesday, September 7, 2010

First post - Finally here!

Hi, everyone! Or, if nobody decides to read this thing, it'll be a fun reminder to look back on if I am dedicated enough to keep it up. I'm about six years late on the blog bandwagon, but anyone who knows me (and sees my electro-gizmos) will know that this is just the way I operate. And anybody who doesn't have facebook (yes, they exist!) can know what I'm up to without feeling left out. My blog title, in case anyone wants to know, isn't all that cool or unique. I'm not creative and didn't want something extra lame like "Marisa in France," so where did I go? Why, Sinatra, of course. I'm an undercover Frankie junkie, and one of his songs I enjoy is "It Happened in Monterrey." It's a swingin' tune, happy and kinda romantic. But the tone of the song is just right for a vacation- or an extended one, in my case. It just fit. If you haven't heard it, get your hindparts over to Youtube, kick back and enjoy your trip back in time.

But enough of that. I'm on my first full day here, and this is what I've got so far. The plane flight was a bit over 7 hours, and we flew through the night. I didn't sleep at all...how, might you ask? Well, I had the spectacular good fortune to be seated by a very attractive homme français on the flight over...so I was kept busy (no, not that busy, thank you very much). Between him on my right, the English girl on my left, and her brother in front (all my age), time certainly passed. That was by far the most fun I've ever had on a flight, hands down. And before I forget to mention, Air France allows you free-yes, I said FREE- wine and champagne in-flight to France. Well-kept secret learned from my French neighbor. I also had dinner and breakfast on the flight, and the fourth Shrek movie on the screen in front of me. Yes, I was living the good life. Beyond that, all my luggage made it with me, so what could be better?

I actually nodded off on the descent into Montpellier, so no pictures of that...but I now have zero jet lag due to some pretty good willpower and a lot of walking. I arrived at the  Cité Universitaire Vert-Bois by taxi at around noon and got my room. I'm on the fourth floor of a fairly old building (not hundreds of years old- talking 20 or so), and my studio is adequate. I had to do some serious cleaning and I've yet to find the cleaning lady to get the sheets I'm supposed to be provided, but it's enough for one. I can deal with all that because, wait for it, I have a balcony!! Only some of us on this ISEP program got them, since my building is the one out of four to have them - and not all rooms are lucky enough, either. My bathroom feels like I'm on a cruise ship all over again, but I'm comfortable just about. Pictures to come when I get this place all nice and tidy...gotta buy a couple more cleaning supplies when I get the chance.

The weather here has been nice and mild, so it's obvious why a/c isn ot necessary. It's been consistently grey and cloudy, and it's just started to storm as I've begun to write. The door to my balcony is wide open since the cover keeps the rain out, and I'm relaxing to the sounds of the weather. Some people around me were speaking French on their balcony earlier, but they've stopped now.

More on my first day and a half in the city later.It's 10 PM here, and I've got to get my rest. French exam tomorrow, and I'm determined to run down that cleaning lady and get my bedsheets. Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment