Saturday, September 18, 2010

A little love for the home state

So. When I came here initially, I was actually ashamed of my level of French. After these years of study I've put in, I was able to function at a minimal level and that's about it. I could ask for things, understand (for the most part) what was asked of me, and fill in the little gaps in between. Well, I'm still kind of ashamed given the abilities of the people around me, but the situation is most definitely looking up! It's been nearly two weeks here, and already I'm observing a noticeable improvement in myself. Most of it is probably gaining some self-confidence to say the things I actually know how but have never really used, and then being okay with bumbling my way through the rest. Even already I feel myself speeding up a little bit and not having that look of "quoi?" on my face quite so often. I won't say I'm magically speaking fabulous French, but I'm on my way. Just gotta keep on truckin' and learn/remember how to say those seemingly simple but important phrases. It's kind of unfortunate when I want to say one thing in English, such as "As long as we do blah blah blah" and having to sit there and scratch my head, attempting to work my way around that first part when I know how to say the rest.

So, to anybody out there looking to study abroad, I offer you a bit of advice if you want to be sure you'll kick-start your language skills: get the HECK away from your English-speaking companions every once in a while! Of course, when you're tossed in a situation where you know no one and your slow self doesn't feel up to trying French after a long plane flight, long day, etc., friends from your country are an absolute blessing. However, I have a new friend originally from China who has been at Montpellier two years. She tells me that a lot of the Chinese students just stick together and speak Chinese, and that it really hurts them. I hear the same thing with Americans. All I can say in response to that is to come armed with a few apologies/explanations, smile a lot, and giggle when you make a mistake (if you're a dude, you can skip the giggles. It's ok). Even if your friends speak English well enough, why not practice? Some phrases that I've used often?

Oui, je parle le français, mais j'apprends encore (Yes, I speak French, but I'm still learning. This one's usually accompanied by a shrug + grin combo, and people are quite understanding once you tell them thins)

And also, Je sais que je parle comme un enfant, mais j'essaie! (I know I speak like a kid, but I try!)

Also, amusing anecdote. I've got introductions down pat by this point, right? Hi, how are you, what's your name, where are you from? what city? what are you studying? Etc, etc. My favorite part usually comes when I'm asked "De quel état?" Of course, I respond to this with Alabama. What happens almost every time?

They sing "Sweet Home Alabama," people. Sure, nobody wants to visit and most don't know what part of the country it's in (Hey, we have 50 states and we're not New York or California. Completely understandable, in my humble opinion).

Seriously, though? This happens all the time. Fun fact o' life. Roll Tide? Having Sweet Home Alabama sung to me several times a day lately amuses me greatly!

But now, it's time for bed. I ventured outside the city today, stayed out fairly late (again?), and j'ai besoin de dormir (I need to sleep!) Until next time!

1 comment:

  1. Bien fait, Marisa. J'espère que tu t'amuse.

    Continue avec le blog.

    ReplyDelete